BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, July 5, 2008



This week has been full of “firsts” that will become the norm for me within the next five months. Sunday night was the first church service I attended in Costa Rica. It was small (but then again I guess any church is, in comparison to Bayside) and informal- I wore a t-shirt and jeans. The music and message were both in Espanol, of course, but I actually understood quite a bit of it, which was a nice surprise. It was just five of us girls from DTS and Estevan, a friend of one of the girls (who is from Costa Rica). Estevan picked us up in an old, red VW bus without seatbelts and we went barreling through busy downtown San Jose, mid-rainstorm, dodging potholes and traffic. It was a fun ride and we got to see the heart of downtown SJ after service when we went to a pizza place for dinner.

(Our street)




Monday was the first of many classes we will have the next three months. We have a new speaker each week and our time during M-F is broken up by worship (music), prayer, teaching, small groups, and outreach preparation. It will be exciting when we find out our outreach locations for the last two months and start preparing for those weeks. While we’re in San Jose however, Thursdays are local outreach days at a new location every time. And every weekday from 4-6 is Work Duty- I was chosen to be on the hospitality team, which means I help prepare the 2nd house for guests, speakers, visiting teams etc. This involves cleaning the house, making welcome packages, and attending to any other needs of the visitor. So if you come to visit me while I’m here, I will be preparing your room and making sure you are comfortable!



(Girls Room)

One interesting thing over the last week has been problems with the water…there hasn’t been any during the last few days. This makes certain things harder, like cooking, brushing your teeth, washing clothes, flushing the toilet, and showering- so as you can imagine, the 20 of us that live in this house aren’t smelling too great right now…so I picked up some baby wipes at the market a little while ago. Little did I know that the baby wipe showers I took in Mexicali a few months ago would only be the beginning…



(My bunk)

Since it’s the weekend and we’re all pretty exhausted from a busy first week, a lot of people are just hanging out around the base. Personally, I think it’s time for a nap. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look really good, and I'm excited that you are starting to experience new things. Although, I'm not too jealous of the Baby Wipe Showers. That's awesome about the Espanol church service too! Are you going to come back fluent, or what?!

I miss you :)

Anonymous said...

MMMEEELLLIIISSSAAA!!!! It's Caleb, Nicole was showing me your page and I wanted to make sure that I got to say hello. That is me screaming your name in excitement, make sure that when you read this comment you must yell your name... Your blog looks great! It's exciting to see what you are doing down there, thanks for the stories, I hope most of them are true. Nicole and I miss you alot, but I've been keeping your side of the bed warm.. actually that is not entirely factual, stacy runs a tight ship around here. Seriously, holy crap, that women is crazy. No she is super. I am a little hurt that I tuned and restrung the guitar and now there is no one to play it??? Welp... talk to you later. Stay... (happy, healthy, you fill in the blank)