BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, January 10, 2010



Today (Sunday) has been the first day with opportunities to relax, venture out, and just soak in the fact that this whole thing is really starting. By Friday evening, all the students had arrived. Saturday was orientation, time spent getting to know a little about each person, and a welcome dinner. We had a typical Costa Rican menu of arroz con pollo (rice with chicken), frijoles molidos (refried black beans), fried platanos, pico de gallo (a sort of salad with tomatoes, avocado, onions, etc)…and tres leches (three milk cake) for dessert. Mmmm!



Everyone loved the food, and as we ate we also learned a bit about the Costa Rican culture from some locals who are part of the base. After the dinner was a little dancing (most were too shy) followed by a bonfire and music together.



Our first week of lecture phase (12 weeks total) begins tomorrow. The students I’ve gotten to know are very excited to start this adventure…and I’m looking forward to it just as much.

3 comments:

Garrett said...

This sounds awesome - glad you've got your team together and things are really starting to get underway...

...Please pocket me some of those "fried plantanos" when no one's looking. I don't care if they don't keep for six months. I'll eat 'em.

Unknown said...

Melissa,
Thanks for sharing! I'm glad you're able to soak it all in as I know you will have many more adventures over the next 6 months. I love you girl and am praying for you and the team!

Kristen said...

I love the table runner in the picture :) I don't think the leaves on the trees around here would work so well...