BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 6, 2008



A concept was brought up in class a few weeks ago that I can’t stop thinking about…so I figured maybe I should write about it.

There is an obvious difference between our gifts/talents and our character, right? Gifts or talents are things that we have or do, like being financially successful or having athletic ability. And character has more to do with who we are, and how we respond to situations. With this in mind, one of our speakers pointed out that many times, there is a discrepancy between the level of gifts and character in a person-their level of character is lower than the value of the gift. For example, someone who has grown up in a wealthy family by circumstance (gift) can be irresponsible with money, and waste it on foolish things (lack of character). Or someone could be gifted with good looks, and use it to manipulate situations and people.

This started to get me thinking about the gifts I’ve been given and if I have the character to match them. For instance, coming to Costa Rica to do this DTS is an opportunity, a gift. And if my character doesn’t match the value of this gift, I could miss out on a lot that is being offered right now. If I don’t take advantage of every opportunity to learn, serve, love, and experience during this time, that would reflect a disappointing gap between this great gift and my character. (I’m not saying this is happening, I just realize it’s a possibility with every gift.)

So this idea has been spiraling in my mind and posing questions about what other gifts are in my life that I might not have enough character for- like are there any relationships I’ve been blessed with that I don’t treat well enough? Or how about finances-does my character reflect responsibility as far as money goes? What about my lifestyle/circumstances back home-do I take for granted and abuse the gifts God has put in my life, or do I treat them with care, as a person of great character would? It’s pretty cool to start thinking about this stuff, at least for me, because I realize how much of a blessing everything in my life is, and that I WANT to have the character to match those blessings….and in some areas I have a lot of growing to do. Anyhow, this is just something that’s been constantly on my mind the last few weeks, and I wanted to share it.

Oh-and in case you’re wondering, I went to the doctor and found out I pulled several tendons in my foot, but other than that it’s ok. I’m on a couple medications for inflammation and I’m supposed to use crutches for one more week. Thanks for your prayers!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your doing well. Look foward to reading your blog and getting updated. I willcontinue to keep you in my prayers.In Christ
{4ps} paul,pam,phillip,paige